CLUBS & GROUPS
- Don't Agonize, Downsize! with Ranka Burzan. At this fun, informative and free workshop, you will learn the shortcuts to downsizing. Move forward with your life with Ranka Burzan, a professional organizer who specializes in decluttering, downsizing for seniors, residential organization and home maintenance. Thursday, Oct. 20, 7 to 8: 30 p.m. - Ladner Pioneer Library. Wednesday, Nov. 2, 7 to 8: 30 p.m. Tsawwassen Library.
- South Delta Newcomers & Alumni meetings are held the third Thursday of each month at 7: 15 p.m. in the Kiwanis Longhouse, 1710-56th St., Tsawwassen. The club is for all women who have moved to Ladner, Tsawwassen or Point Roberts, to introduce you to the community and help you make new friends. Join us Thursday, Oct. 20. Our guest speaker will be Nancy Macey, executive director, Delta Hospice Society. For more information please call Marie at 778-434-2090.
- Boundary Bay Montessori House School's free fourweek Parent Education series continues Thursday evenings in October. This series will give parents information about Montessori Education from the preschool years to Grade 7: Oct. 20 - Montessori Math and Geometry, and Oct. 27 Culture - Science and Geography lessons. Please join us at 7 p.m. (380072nd St., Ladner).
- October is Canadian Library Month. Celebrate libraries while we offer cake in appreciation to our valued customers on Customer Appreciation Day. Please join the Delta Friends of the Library and staff on Saturday, Oct. 22, 1 to 3 p.m. at your own Delta library: George Mackie Library, Ladner Pioneer Library or the Tsawwassen Library.
- The Canadian Federation of University Women South Delta meets the fourth Tuesday of the month in the Royal Oaks Social Room, 1100-56th St. at 7: 15 p.m. The next meeting will be Tuesday, Oct. 25. The guest speaker will be Carole Davis who will speak about the Alexander technique for muscle relaxation. New members are always welcome. Call Cheryl 604-943-4634 or Anna 6049430042.
- The Ladner Single Parents Support Group wishes to invite single parents with dependent children to a free dinner at the Ladner Christian Reformed Church, 4594-54A St., Delta, on Wednesday, Oct. 26. Doors open at 5: 10 p.m. Dinner at 5: 30 p.m. For further information please contact Tanya (778-389-0654).
- Scrabble Club at the Ladner Pioneer Library. Drop in and test your word power at the Ladner Pioneer Library, 4683-51st St., Delta on the last Tuesday of the month at 5: 30 - 8: 30 pm. All ages and experience welcome.
- An Autumn Lunch will be held at KinVillage Community Centre, 543010th Ave., Tsawwassen, Friday, Oct. 21 at noon. Seafood Newburg, salad and Black Forest cake and music will be provided by Peter Montgomery. Tickets are $11 for members and $13 non-members. 604-943-0225.
- The Kin Jam Band will entertain Monday, Oct. 24, from 1: 30 to 4 pm at KinVillage Community Centre, 5430-10th Ave., Tsawwassen. 604-943-0225.
- A Party Dance with CD music of the 50s, 60s and 70s will be held Friday, Oct. 28 at KinVillage Community Centre. Doors open at 7: 30 p.m. with dancing from 8p.m. to 11: 30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for members and $10 nonmembers and the admission price includes a mid-evening coffee, tea and dessert. Phone sales are accepted by calling 604-943-0225 or can be purchased at the door. Licensed premises.
- There is a Halloween birthday lunch at McKee Seniors Recreation Centre, 5155-47th Ave., on Friday, Oct. 28 at 12: 30 p.m. Members: $6. Guests: $7.
- Come to hear MLA Vicki Huntington discuss current provincial issues at a town hall meeting. Bring your questions. Thursday, Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. at Ladner All Saints Anglican Church at 4755 Arthur Drive (Arthur Drive and 47th Ave.) Parking at the back.
- The Little House Society would like to thank the South Delta community for help rebuilding the "Little House" is hosting a Gratitude and Grace event at the newly renovated Kirkland House, 4140 Arthur Dr., Ladner, from 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22.
- Delta Parks and Recreation, in partnership with Fraser Valley Regional Library's Delta Libraries, presents a special Halloween storytime & craft on Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2 - 3 p.m. Drop in for this free program at the Tsawwassen Arts Centre, 1172-56th St., Delta.
- Family Fright Fest is a free family event from 4: 30 to 7: 30 p.m. on Oct. 27. The McKee Heritage House will be transformed into Madame McKee's Wax Museum and there will be a range of other spooky activities including trick or treat doors at the McKee Seniors Recreation Centre and a mad scientist lab at the Boys and Girls Club.
- Reserve the date Saturday, Oct. 22 and the time - 7 p.m. for a special evening. The South Fraser Gogos are hosting a fundraising dinner in support of the African grandmothers. We hope you'll join us for a night of good fun for a great cause at the Banquet Hall at the Sundance Pub in Ladner. For tickets ($25) or more info, call Jo-Anne at 604-946-2202.
- IODE Boundary Bay Chapter Bridge and Afternoon Tea Fundraiser on Wednesday, Oct. 26, from 1 to 4 p.m. at All Saints Anglican Church, 4755 Arthur Dr., Ladner. $10 per person. Call Diane for tickets at 604-948-3198. All proceeds go towards local charities.
- The Sidekick Players present Reginald Rose's courtroom drama Twelve Angry Men from Oct. 20 to Nov. 5, (Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings only). Curtain at 8 p.m. Box office opens at 7 p.m. House opens at 7: 30 p.m. Adults: $18. Seniors/students: $15. All performances at The Tsawwassen Arts Centre, 1172-56th St. Please call 604-288-2415 to reserve your seats.
- Hummingbird Ministries Peace through the Arts Festival, featuring Aboriginal & various inter-cultural performers and artists, South Delta Baptist Church, 1988 56th St., Delta, on Friday, Nov. 4, from 6: 30 to 9 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 5, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 604612-5577 or e-mail hummingbird.ministries@shaw. ca for more information.
The Coming Events column is published every Wednesday as a community service. If you have a nonprofit event, mail, drop off, fax, or e-mail (events@ delta-optimist.com) the details to the Optimist by 3 p.m. Monday. Submissions are subject to space limitations (no phone calls, please).