The Southlands development proposed by the Century Group would be good for business, provide needed housing and offer open space and natural habitat for community use, according to the Delta Chamber of Commerce, which recently surveyed its members.
A majority of the 104 chamber members responding to the survey, conducted between Nov. 30 and Dec. 11, indicated support for these features of the proposed development in Tsawwassen.
The survey found a 65 per cent positive response to the statements of potential benefit of the project, a 23 per cent negative response and a 12 per cent neutral response. The survey was distributed to businesses, organizations and individuals among the chamber's 400 members.
The chamber board sent a letter to Delta council speaking up for these business and economic development features offered by the proposed Southlands project.
"After listening to our members through the survey, our board of directors presents the chamber's support of the business and economic development features of Southlands, but appreciates that there are other key factors which Delta council must consider in reaching its decision," said board vice chair Orv Nickel.
"We, of course, think what's good for local businesses is good for the community where most of us live as well as work. Some of our members do not support the business benefits of the proposed project and we need to listen to them too and share their concerns."
The Century Group proposal includes 950 housing units on 20 per cent of the 215-hectare (536-acre) site while handing over the remaining 80 per cent to Delta, primarily to be used for agricultural purposes. The plan also includes a neighbourhood square among other amenities.
The proposal is to go before Delta council tonight where civic politicians are to vote on whether to direct staff to prepare a report for first and second reading.
© Copyright 2013