Delta will be hosting a public information meeting on the Southlands development application next week.
Things have been quiet for a while on the controversial proposal as the Century Group has worked behind the scenes to provide more information to the municipal planning department.
That all changed earlier this month when the Tsawwassen-based development company issued a press release outlining a series of dates in which the public will have a chance to voice their opinion.
Delta CAO George Harvie confirmed that dates for a public information meeting, preliminary consideration from Delta council and a public hearing had tentatively been set.
A date has now been finalized for the public information meeting, which is scheduled for Thursday, May 30 from 3 to 8: 30 p.m. at the South Delta Recreation Centre.
The drop-in format will provide an opportunity to view display boards with details about the application. Civic staff will also be on hand to answer questions.
Following that meeting council will consider whether to give the application preliminary approval, although a date hasn't been set for that vote. If approved, the proposal would go to a public hearing.
The Century release had the dates of that public hearing as Sept. 10 and 11, but the hearing likely won't occur until later this fall.
If a municipal by-election is needed to fill Scott Hamilton's seat, it will likely be held in early October, with the Southlands hearing later that month.
The Century Group is proposing to develop the 536-acre Southlands with housing on 20 per cent, while handing the remaining 80 per cent to Delta. Much of that land would be used for farming, with the necessary upgrades to make it possible paid for by Century.
The rezoning involves the construction of 950 units in various forms and densities over a 15-year period. The proposal also includes a market square.
Company president Sean Hodgins said Delta residents haven't had an opportunity to formally consider the plan for the Southlands and the role it can play in producing community benefits.
The last public hearing held concerning the Southlands was for another developer's application more than 24 years ago, he noted.
Meantime, Southlands the Facts is urging residents to show up at the upcoming public information meeting and ask a series of tough questions. Some of the issues the group wants raised include traffic, flood-proofing and the loss of farmland.
© Copyright 2013