Skip to content

Blog: What's the big deal about a wasp sting?

This time of year wasp nest call-outs are steady.

This time of year wasp nest call-outs are steady. So why are people so concerned about wasps, especially when the nest is high up on the roof? Wasp stings are common, cause uncomfortable or significant pain and irritation, and most people recover quickly. The initial sensations can include sharp pain or burning at the sting site then redness, swelling, and itching. Then there are the large local reactions, which describes more distinct symptoms associated with a wasp. This is when people are allergic to wasp stings, including extreme redness and swelling that increases for two or three days with nausea and vomiting. Antihistamines, such as Benadryl, work to reduce discomfort. The worst allergic reactions to wasp stings are referred to as anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis occurs when your body goes into shock almost immediately in response to the wasp venom. Having a bee sting kit available that contains an epinephrine injection (EpiPens) is advised to relax your muscles and blood vessels, helping your heart and respiration rates return to normal.  

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks