Let’s go back to Delta Street in the 1930s to check out another building that’s now gone
The above photo from the Delta Archives was taken in front of the Ladner Meat Market, next to Granny Wilson's house.
The meat market business was located there from 1913 to 1942.
The building was later occupied by a bicycle shop and then a barber.
The meat market moved to a new building in 1942.
The man standing is unidentified but may be Billy Wellburn, owner of the Ladner Meat Market.
The building, which was torn down this week, had a series of business there through the subsequent decades, most recently Billie’s Barber Shop, but has been vacant for a couple of years.
The building at 4868 Delta St. was on the city’s heritage inventory but was unnamed, simply listed as a commercial building circa 1918.
A group of residents started an online petition over a year ago in the hope of saving it.
An early 1920s shot of Delta Street showing the Ladner Meat Market
The structure went down this week to make way for a new two-storey residential/commercial building