These Delta Archives photos from the summer of 1958 show cars loading on the Ladner ferry service.
Especially busy during the summer, it connected the north end of Ferry Road to the landing at the south end of No. 5 Road in Richmond.
The long-running service closed when the new Deas Island Tunnel opened in May 1959.
Before the tunnel, for years the only way to reach Vancouver was by the ferry to Richmond, which had only been established in 1913, then across the Marpole Bridge.