Let's go back in time to visit Perry's Department Store on Westham Street (48th Avenue) in Ladner Village.
The store was built around 1890 and for many years it was one of the major department stores for Ladner. According to the Delta Archives, it was first owned by H.J. Hutcherson and he sold the store to S.W. Walters in 1912. After Walters, J.W. Atkey brought the store in 1918 and he sold it to R.F. Young, who in turn sold it to J.H. Perry in 1934.
Up until that time, the store included a grocery department and was known to many as the "White Store".
In 1965, Gordon Peacock bought the store but retained the well known Perry name.
The store operated under different owners until it was demolished in 1989.
The staff at Perry's Department Store in 1950
The women's clothing department at Perry's in 1950
The food department at Perry's
By 1977 it was clear the store had seen better days