In the wake of Tuesday’s rupture and fire along the Enbridge pipeline near Prince George, natural gas provide FortisBC is asking customers province-wide to reduce their usage Wednesday.
“As a result of the incident affecting the Enbridge pipeline that feeds our system we are anticipating decreased energy flow and potential loss of service,” notes the utility provider in an alert issued early Wednesday morning.
“FortisBC is requesting all of our natural gas customers across the province to turn off their thermostats as well as reduce use of all other natural gas appliances.”
While FortisBC’s system is not damaged, they are contending with an overall energy flow issue stemming from Tuesday’s incident.
The explosion and ensuing fire happened on a natural gas transmission pipeline owned and operated by Enbridge about 13.5 kilometres from Prince George.
Residents in the area were forced to evacuate temporarily. No injuries were reported, and investigators are on scene, though the cause of the rupture remains unknown.
Here in the lower mainland, FortisBC reminds customers that if you smell gas, you need to leave the area and call the FortisBC 24-hour natural gas emergency line at 1-800-663-9911 or 911.