Winter entertaining need not end once Christmas and New Year's Day have come and gone. Getting together with friends and family is still possible even if the weather outside is frightful.
When Mother Nature takes a chilly turn, those who don't want the party can consider the following entertaining ideas.
· Indulge in sweet treats. Comfort foods can make even the most blustery winds easier to tolerate. Invite people over for a dessert party. At a dessert pot luck party, everyone brings along a favourite decadent dessert, from molten lava chocolate cake to warm bread pudding. Serve alongside tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Adults can enjoy the added punch of spiked beverages, which can warm everyone up instantly.
· Host a "snowed in" party. Spending a day cooped up inside when the roads are covered in snow might not be your idea of fun, but invite a mix of friends and neighbours who live nearby over, and this impromptu party can make the cabin fever disappear. Ask guests to bring one food item or beverage. Light a fire in the fireplace and set out some cozy throw blankets. If possible, invite everyone outdoors to build a snowman.
· Get physical. Get physically active with friends or family members by staging mock Olympic events in the yard. These can be fun "sports" created by participants or variations on fun winter activities. Sledding races, snowball dodging contests, ice skating obstacle courses and much more can make for an entertaining afternoon.
· Get cooking. Cooking can certainly pass the time, and it can be even more enjoyable when done in the company of others. Send out an invitation for friends to stop by for a meal or plan a meal prep party.
· Host a movie marathon. Handpick some favourite films and invite everyone over for a movie marathon. Fill the family room, home theatre room or living room to capacity and host a group for a film fest. If space permits, set up one room with a children's movie for youngsters, while the adults retire to another room for movies that are more their speed. A buffet table set up with assorted snacks will help keep bellies full while guests watch some favorite flicks.