As the first locally grown potato of the season, new potato nuggets are exactly what West Coast summers should be about - celebrating fresh, great tasting, locally grown foods.
This year's bountiful crop of nugget potatoes is no exception.
"Every year we look forward to new potato nugget season. They're a local sensation and it means the launch of our favourite summer season," says BCfresh grower John Guichon of Felix Farms in Delta.
Distinguishable by their pink eyes and lack of skin, new potato nuggets are picked at their maximum tenderness and flavour. Harvested every day, the nuggets are shipped within 24 hours to local grocery stores.
New potato nuggets are only here for a limited time, so don't miss the opportunity to support local farmers.
Available now at local grocers, they are best enjoyed within two to three days of purchase and due to their tender nature, they should be refrigerated immediately.
Nugget potatoes are delicious roasted with a little hazelnut oil or kick it up a notch with this summerinspired recipe:
ROASTED NUGGET POTATOES
(WITH A KICK)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
2 lbs small white potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil or
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (not spicy)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (or to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 400Â°F.
2. In a bowl, mix oil, spices and herbs.
3. Wash and quarter potatoes.
4. Add potatoes to oil mixture and toss to coat.
5. When oven is heated, place potatoes on a cookie sheet and pop into the oven. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Keep an eye on them during the last 10 minutes to avoid burning.
7. Potatoes are done when a fork easily enters the potato and outside is crispy.
Optional: serve with sour cream and guacamole