Let’s head back to the September 1962 pages of the Delta Optimist when a feature story ran on local businessman Vernon “Ted” Taylor, who celebrated 50 years in business in Ladner.
Taylor was simply known as “Ted” by many and was described as “a lively little man at 82.”
Born in Leeds, Yorkshire, Taylor grew up in Cornwall and was apprenticed as a harness maker.
Coming to Ladner in 1911, he took his current store on the south side of Westham Street (now called 48th Avenue) in 1912 and was there ever since.
He made and sold saddlery, harnesses, mended shoes and did all kinds of other leather work.
Those were the days when every farmer had a horse and buggy.
All the farm work was done with heavy horses and there was a continual demand for leather work.
In 1947, after 35 years in the store, Ted took his son-in-law Lloyd G. Taylor into his businesses.
The Delta Saddlery, as Ted’s store was called, became Taylor’s Shoe Store.
“Whether a visitor calls into Taylor’s for a pair of new shoes, to pick up a mended coat, handbag or dog collar or just to pass the time of day, he gets he gets a welcomes and pleasant visit with Ted Taylor, Ladner’s ever-young harness maker and musician,” the articles stated.