Skip to content

Delta throwback: Saying goodbye to a piece of history

New Safeway would be exciting new addition to community
Calvert home at 56th Street and 12th Avenue demolished in 1965 to make way for new Safeway store
Reg Savage of George Hodgins Realty and city councillor Bill Clipperton looking on as the Calvert home is cleared in 1965.

Let’s head back in time to see a piece of Delta’s history being demolished to make way for a new Safeway store in Tsawwassen.

In January 1965, the old Calvert property at 56th Street and 12th Avenue (formerly Point Roberts Road and Raitt Road) was cleared in “Operation Bulldozer” for the new grocery store that was to open later that summer.

Edward Theodore Calvert (1875-1940) was born in 1875 in Devon, England, immigrating to Canada in 1892. 

He married Euphemia May Robinson (1877-1964) in 1898 and they had six children.

In 1902, he became agent for the Great Northern Railway, and then started a business in Ladner, the E.T. Calvert Agricultural Machinery equipment store.

In 1914, Calvert was appointed the first customs agent at the new Boundary Bay customs office at the corner of 56th Street and 12th Avenue.

Calvert patrolled the international boundary and adjacent areas, and at the time of his death in 1940 was the chief customs-excise examiner for Boundary Bay.

He actively participated in musical groups and events in Delta, being the first conductor for the Delta Choral Society.

Among his many other community involvement was serving as president of the Delta Board of Trade in 1936.