Skip to content

North Delta Crime Beat: DPD busy with speed patrols, accident on Alex Fraser Bridge

The following are some of the calls Delta police responded to in the previous week
Delta Police uniform
Files of interest from North Delta in this week's crime beat.

The purpose of the Crime Beat is to educate and inform the public about some of the property crime trends occurring in North Delta and other files of interest. If you see anything occurring that you believe to be suspicious, call 911 for in-progress crimes and emergencies or 604-946-4411 for other assistance.

The following are some of the calls Delta police responded to in the previous week:

*May 24, 10:35 a.m., 11000 block 78th Avenue: Complainant reported a suspicious male sleeping under a tree on the corner of their property and wanted him to leave. Upon arrival, police spoke to the young male who was wearing a window cleaner’s uniform, taking shelter from the rain under a tree on the edge of the property, watching videos on his phone during his break from cleaning windows. Police confirmed that there was nothing suspicious and updated the complainant. 

*May 25, 6:58 a.m., 900 block Alex Fraser Bridge: Police were conducting proactive patrols when they noticed a vehicle approaching at a high rate of speed. Rear radar locked the speed of the vehicle to be going 150 km/h in a 70 km/h zone. Traffic stop was initiated and the driver was given an excessive speeding ticket and their vehicle was towed. 

*May 26, 10:30 p.m., 8000 block 120th Street: A loss prevention officer from a nearby store contacted police reporting that they had one male in custody for shoplifting. Police attended and found that the male had stolen milk, paneer and jam. The loss prevention officer was not interested in pressing charges and provided a verbal warning only. The shoplifter had no criminal history and was cooperative throughout the interaction. 

*May 27, 2:50 p.m., 7800 block 119th Street: Police observed a vehicle with heavy front window tint, speeding and making several quick turns. A traffic stop was conducted and the driver was issued a Box 3 Notice and Order and was told to remove the tint in their windows. A warning ticket was issued for speeding.

*May 27, 6:08 p.m., Alex Fraser Bridge: Police attended a motor vehicle accident on the Alex Fraser Bridge that involved two vehicles. The front vehicle had used their breaks without the back vehicle seeing, resulting in the back vehicle rear ending the front vehicle. No injuries were present and both vehicles were towed.

*May 28, 8 p.m., 7000 block 115th Street: Complainant requested police to attend as a male approached them and started filming herself and others. Police attended and spoke with the complainant who stated that the male started yelling about their vehicle being too loud. Police attended the males’ residence and spoke to him where he stated that he was upset with how loud the vehicle was. Police discussed his approach and stated that there were probably better options to deal with the matter. The male agreed and showed police that he did not video tape anyone and the police then updated the complainant. 

*May 30, 10900 block River Road: Complainant called to advise of an apparent abandoned vehicle. The complainant advised that the vehicle had been parked there since Thursday, May 27 and he had not seen anyone approach the vehicle. Police originally arrived and found the vehicle unoccupied and were unable to communicate with owner. Upon re-attending the vehicle, the owner approached police and stated he was having mechanical problems with the truck and had parked until the shop opens. Police advised the owner of the vehicle that the vehicle was parked on public road and would need to be moved. The owner moved the vehicle to his residence across the street. 

*May 30, 11000 Bridlington Drive: Complainant reported that he had attempted to renew his insurance, but was informed that his vehicle was no longer in his name. ICBC requested a police file number in order to proceed. Police attended the complainant residence and spoke with the male directly. The male stated that earlier in the month he had traded in his vehicle for a new vehicle but the dealership had accidentally transferred the wrong vehicle. Police confirmed that the vehicle was registered to the dealership at this time. The male stated that he would be contacting the dealership for further information regarding the mistake.