Skip to content

Online Poll: Optimist readers weigh in on future of RCMP in B.C.

Readers give their feedback on should there be a provincial police force instead

Keep the RCMP in B.C.

That was the leading response to our latest online poll in light of a committee, appointed to reform British Columbia's Police Act, recommending moving to a provincial police force to replace the RCMP.

The special committee, comprising members of the legislature from all three parties, was established to consider reforms for independent oversight, training, funding, service delivery and other issues that would modernize law enforcement in the province.  

On a poll that ran from May 6 to May 11, we asked readers: Should B.C. replace the RCMP with a provincial police force?

Over the 280 participants, 139 reside in Delta.

Nearly 65 percent responded with no, leaving the remaining 35 percent saying opting for yes.

Results are based on an online study of adult Delta Optimist readers that are located in Ladner. The margin of error - which measures sample variability - is +/- 5.82%, 19 times out of 20.

Delta Optimist uses a variety of techniques to capture data, detect and prevent fraudulent votes, detect and prevent robots, and filter out non-local and duplicate votes.

See our home page at to participate in our latest online poll. 

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks