Customers can hop on a brand-new double-decker bus when traveling through Richmond, Delta and Surrey starting in October, TransLink says.
Following a four-month pilot, the first of 32 double-deckers on order have arrived to expand the current fleet and replace aging highway coaches, according to TransLink.
The first double-deckers will service the 301 Newton Exchange/Richmond-Brighouse station and the 620 Bridgeport/Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal. The 555 Lougheed Station/Carvolth Exchange route will be added January 2020.
Customers travelling on a double-decker will benefit from:
• Almost double the seats of a highway coach
• Plug-in USB charging outlets
• Panoramic views from the upper deck
• A wide, well-lit staircase with handrails to maximize safety
• A screen allowing customers to see vacant seats before going upstairs
• Full accessibility with a low floor and boarding ramp
An order of 25 more double-deckers is scheduled to arrive by the fall of 2020 expanding to more routes throughout the region.
“The double-deckers are one way we are elevating the customer experience,” says TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond. “This addition to our fleet not only improves capacity on our busier long-haul routes, but also provides a unique experience to our customers.”