Let’s do another throwback and go to the early 1940s to visit Billy Maxwell.
In 1914, Billy purchased the Fashion Stable business and two lots in Ladner from J.M. Collinson and operated a livery stable and coal and wood delivery business there until his death in 1946.
In this photo from Delta Archives, he's seen repairing the roof of a small house beside the livery stable on the corner of Laidlaw and Trenant streets.
Billy’s dog is keeping him company. Billy rented the house to army couples working at Boundary Bay RCAF Station during the war. Prior to that Billy and his sons Raynie and Harry lived in the house. After 1949, newlywed Harry and wife Helen lived there for a few years. The house never had a refrigerator. Instead, there was a cool box on the back porch.
A photo of Billy Maxwell's stable and warehouse taken in the winter of 1946. On the building is a sign "Massey-Harris farm implements"