Delta athletes basked in the Okanagan heat to produce a number of outstanding performances at last weekend’s B.C. Secondary Schools Track and Field Championships in Kelowna.
The South Delta Sun Devils showcased their promising young talent at the Apple Bowl with several podium finishes at the junior and Grade 8 levels. This resulted in South Delta finishing fifth and third respectively in the team standings.
Leading the way was Madelyn Bonikowsky capturing gold in both the 1,500 and 800 metre races. Last fall, the Grade 10 standout started her school year off by winning the provincial cross-country junior girls title.
SDSS exchange student Jonathan Hofer looked right at home on the track, winning the junior boys 3,000 metre race and adding a bronze in the 1,500.
At the Grade 8 level, Aiden Turner thrived in the hurdle races, winning gold in the 100 metre event and adding bronze over 200 metres. He also was ninth in the javelin.
Rounding out the SDSS medal winners was a pair of Grade 8 girls relay teams. Hattie Lundie, Katrina Staley, Ava Lappin and Ella Arnold captured silver in the 4x100. Gemma Dumas then joined Staley, Lappin and Lundi to earn bronze in the 4x400 event.
Meanwhile Southpointe Academy’s Kaylie Borntraeger captured the junior girls long jump. North Delta sprinter Charity Obazughanmwen was a double-medalist — winning silver in the 200 and bronze in the 100.
Here is a rundown of city athletes that managed top eight finishes:
Grade 8 Girls 4x100 relay
2. South Delta (Ella Arnold, Hattie Lundie, Katrina Staley, Ava Lappin) 53.53.
Senior Girls Discus
7. Simran Banger (North Delta).
Special Olympics Men’s Shot Put
2. Ryland Mallari (North Delta)
Grade 8 Girls Long Jump
6. Gemma Dumas (South Delta) 4.56m.
Grade 8 Boys Javelin
9. Aidan Turner (South Delta) 31.88m.
Grade 8 Boys Shot Put
3. Evander Sandhu (Delview) 11.98m.
Junior Girls Long Jump
1. Kaylie Borntraeger (Southpointe Academy) 5.30m.
Senior Boys 2000 metre Steeplechase
10. Kirubel Bogale (North Delta) 6:42.51.
Senior Girls 1500 metre Steeplechase
3. Hanna Milic (Seaquam) 5:06.85.
Grade 8 Boys 100 Metre Hurdles
1. Aidan Turner (South Delta) 14.52.
Special Olympics Men’s 100 Metres
4. Ryland Mallari (North Delta) 13.95.
Junior Girls 100 Metres
3. Charity Obazughanmwen (North Delta) 12.48.
Grade 8 Girls 400 Metres
6. Gemma Dumas (South Delta) 1:02.77
Junior Boys 400 Metres
6. Alex Lamyin (South Delta) 53.04.
Special Olympics 400 Metres
2. Ryland Mallari (North Delta) 1:04.18.
Junior Girls 1500 Metres
1. Madelyn Bonikowsky (South Delta) 4:48.96.
Junior Boys 1500 Metres
3. Jonathan Hofer (South Delta) 4:03.90. 8. Jacob Bonikowsky (South Delta) 4:17.84. 10. Jackson Maccubbin Lowrey (South Delta) 4:26.07.
Grade 8 Girls 4x400 Relay
3. South Delta (Katrina Staley, Hattie Lundie, Ava Lappin, Gemma Dumas) 4:24.32.
Junior Girls Discus
5. Keerat Dhillon (North Delta) 28.01m
Grade 8 Girls Shot Put
5. Sara Croy (Southpointe Academy) 8.84m.
Senior Girls Hammer Throw
5. Keerat Dhillon (North Delta) 38.66.
Senior Girls Shot Put
5. Simran Bangar (North Delta) 10.05m.
Junior Girls 300 Metre hurdles
7. Kaylie Borntraeger (Southpointe Academy) 49.01.
Grade 8 Boys 200 Metre Hurdles
3. Aidan Turner (South Delta) 27.24.
Junior Boys 3,000 Metres
Jonathan Hofer (South Delta) 9:02.55.
Senior Girls 3,000 Metres
5. Hanna Milic (Seaquam) 10:36.84.
Grade 8 Girls 800 Metres
4. Gemma Dumas (South Delta) 2:26.11.
Junior Boys 800 Metres
5. Jacob Bonikowsky (South Delta) 2:04.70.
Junior Girls 200 Metres
2. Charity Obazughanmwen (North Delta) 25.44.
Junior Boys 4x400
8. South Delta (Alex Lamyin, Jacob Bonikowsky, Jonathan Hofer, Aiden Turner).