The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the cancellation of a beloved amateur sport in Delta.
Last weekend the Delta Lacrosse Association announced via its Facebook page that it was officially cancelling its 2020 box season.
“We have appreciated your patience as we postponed formalizing this decision, until all efforts at salvaging this season had been made,” wrote the association board of directors. “We have already incurred expenses this season that will not be refunded to us. We will, however, be offering full refunds for registered players to help alleviate the hardships our families are facing. In order to facilitate a full refund, it will be necessary to complete the refund form found on our Delta Lacrosse Association website: Please head to our refund form page here: https://islanders.deltalacrosse.ca/form/316 in order to start the return process. We will work diligently to get refund cheques issued.”
Long-term, the association said they are continuing to work with both the Canadian Lacrosse Association and the B.C. Lacrosse Association at returning access to play lacrosse.
“Designated committees are working together to determine a safe way to compete. We will keep our members apprised as we move through this process,” added the association. “We want to take a minute to acknowledge how tough this has been on our families and young athletes. We volunteer because we love this game and the community it provides, and we miss it too. We encourage you to keep that stick in your hands, stay connected and reach out to teammates past and present.”
Meanwhile, the president of the BC Junior A Lacrosse League, of which the Delta Islanders are a part of, said a recent pronouncement by British Columbia’s health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, suggesting large gatherings of people may not be allowed through the summer in an effort to quash transmission of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 puts his league’s ability to hold a season “at risk.”
The BCJALL, was supposed to play its first regular season game last week, but that’s now on hold with the league executive meeting next on June 3.
President Karl Christiansen said the league could reduce its schedule to 14 games from 21, or even stage a tournament-style season.
- With files from Mario Bartel/Tri-City News