British Columbians who are lower-income renters have six weeks left to apply for the one-time $500 Canada Housing Benefit, coming to a close on March 31, 2023.
The federal benefit aims to help lower-income renters with their rent.
The Government of Canada launched the benefit in December, and more than half a million Canadians have applied.
In order to be eligible, applicants must:
- be a resident of Canada in 2022 for tax purposes;
- have a principal residence in Canada whether house, cottage, condo, mobile home and others;
- an adjusted net income in 2021 of $35,000 or less for families, or
- for single individuals, an adjusted net income $20,000 or less; and,
- pay at least 30 per cent of their adjusted family net income towards rent in the 2022 calendar year.
Applicants must only apply for themselves, and do not need to receive other housing benefits to be eligible.
Applications can be submitted through Canada Revenue Agency's My Account.