Clubs & Groups
- There are Hospice Cottage Collectible Sales on March 2, 9: 30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and March 3, from 9: 30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 152156th St., Tsawwassen.
- Birds in Focus - A Visual Presentation at Tsawwassen Arts Centre, 1172-56th St., on Friday, March 2, 7: 30 to 9: 45 p.m. Peter Holmes, John Lowman and Jim Martin will show their amazing digital presentations of birds of the Lower Mainland and beyond. All ages; $5 collected at the door; advance registration is required (604-432-6359). For information call 604224-5739.
- Adults are invited to Behind the Cover for some informal, fun and thought provoking book talks at the Tsawwassen Library, 1321A-56th St. On Monday, March 5, from 2 - 3 p.m., let our Information Services staff pique your interest in some new-to-you authors.
- Get comfortable with using the Internet on Wired Wednesdays. Drop in for 60-minute hands-on courses on Wednesday, March 7 from 9 to 10 a.m. at the Tsawwassen Library, 1321A-56th St.
- The Tsawwassen Library is holding its' annual book sale on Friday, March 9 from 10 a.m. to 5 pm. This one-day affair will offer paperbacks only. Do you have some gently read paperbacks you would like to donate? Support your local library by gifting your new and gently used soft-covers for our book sale. Please note that due to the lack of space at the Tsawwassen Library, you are asked to drop off books anytime between 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., from Monday, March 5 to Thursday, March 8 only.
- Join the Delta Naturalists for our meeting on Monday, March 12 at 7: 30 p.m. at Cammidge House in Boundary Bay Regional Park in Tsawwassen. Our speaker is Larry Cowan and he will entertain us with "An Ecuador Birding Adventure." Enjoy the sights and sounds of the birds and landscapes of Ecuador. We will travel from the heights of the Andes to the tropics of the Northwestern Lowlands.
Everyone welcome, no cost. For more information, call Joanne at 604-946-2240.
- The Delta Stamp Club meets at the Tsawwassen Library at 7: 30 p.m. and talk about, trade or otherwise exchange stamps. The meetings are every second and fourth Tuesdays of every month and last approximately one and a half hours. New members are very welcome, and no one needs to be an expert on philately just interested.
Come and check us out, we would love to see you. Contact Nellie at 6049403803 for more information.
- The KinVillage Community Centre will be having a Tuesday Social & Movie, on March 6 & March 20, at 1: 30pm. Cost is $3. Includes Timbits with tea or coffee and a free movie.
- The KinVillage Community Centre is having a St. Patrick's Day Luncheon at noon on Friday, March 16. Tickets available at reception, 604-943-0225. $11 for members & $13 for non-members.
- South Delta Seniors' Travel presents a Coquitlam casino trip on Friday, March 30. Buy tickets Monday to Thursday from 10: 30 a.m. to 12: 45 p.m. at KinVillage Community Centre in Tsawwassen or Tuesday and Thursday from 10: 30 a.m. to 12: 30 p.m. at McKee Seniors Recreation Centre in Ladner. $6 for members.
- Rockin' for Reach: A benefit concert and dance for Reach Child and Youth Development Society with Incognito, Jerry Doucette and friends. Ages 19 and over. Saturday, March 31 at KinVillage Community Centre 5430-10th Ave., Tsawwassen. Doors open 7 p.m. Tickets $20 available at Videoland Tsawwassen and Ladner locations, or call 604-946-6622 ext 337 www.reachdevelopment. org.
- Many of the churches of South Delta are meeting at the South Delta Baptist Church on March 2 at 1: 30 p.m. for the annual World Day of Prayer service. The country of focus this year is Malaysia and the theme is Let Justice Prevail. The service includes readings, prayer and a speaker from Malaysia. Refreshments will follow. Everyone is welcome.
- St. Andrew's Church invites you to come participate in a discussion on the future of a new Anglican family and youth ministry in South Delta. Summit on the Delta is an exceptional opportunity to share your thoughts, prayers and hopes for "young people ministry". We welcome you to this discussion at the Tsawwassen Longhouse Gallery on Saturday, March 3 from 7 to 9 p.m. For more information, please contact Rev. Dr. Michael Dobson at 604-767-9612. Email: mike. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Frankly Yours... A Loving Tribute. George Ellenton & The Pack perform the hits of Frank Sinatra in a '60s Vegas style show at 7: 30 p.m. on Saturday, March 3 at the Tsawwassen Arts Centre. Call 604-952-3020 for tickets, $20 each.
- Cedar Park Church's Ovation Performance Series is pleased to present the next concert held on Saturday, March 10, 7 p.m. at Cedar Park Church (5300-44th Ave., Ladner), featuring Delta Community Music School's Faculty performing a delightfully varied program of classical, jazz and music theatre. Tickets ($15) available at Cedar Park Church (Tues-Fri 9am-3pm) 604-946-7410 and at the music school (Mon-Thurs 1-6pm) 604-946-1280. Proceeds will fund music scholarships.
- Canada: from Sea to Shining Sea Photographic Exhibition: Runs until March 13. Prints of landscapes and animals from across Canada; Nova Scotia, Nunavut, B.C. and more. Photographer: Ursula Easterbrook. Meet the artist: March 10, 1 to 4 p.m.; free workshop at 2: 30 p.m. Tsawwassen Arts Centre Gallery, 1172-56th St., Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Phone first: 604-943-9437.
The Coming Events column is published every Wednesday as a community service. If you have a nonprofit event, mail, drop off, fax, or e-mail (events@ delta-optimist.com) the details to the Optimist by 3 p.m. Monday. Submissions are subject to space limitations (no phone calls).