Skip to content

Ladner throwback: Legion volunteers recognized

This May marks the 96th anniversary of the branch being chartered
Shown receiving their pins from Wilma Cullen, representative, during a ceremony are Mrs. Albertine Manier (left), Mrs. Rose Maxwell (second from left) and Mrs. Lillian Baudrow (fourth from left). Also pictured is Auxiliary President Sonia Steward (right) and Mrs. Vanda Cory, sergeant-at-arms (third from left). Delta Optimist file

Let’s head back to May of 1972 when members of the Branch 61, Royal Canadian Legion Women’s Auxiliary, received their 25-year pins at a ceremony at the Ladner Legion Hall.

The Ladner Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion was chartered in 1928, originally known as the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League.

In 1960 the Legion was renamed the Royal Canadian Legion.

Their original building was deeded to the Ladner branch in 1945 by the Municipality of Delta and was located where the Ladner Community Centre is now situated.

In the 1950s, the branch received its liquor licence and moved to the foot of Delta Street in the heart of Ladner Village. In 1970, a third move was made to their current location on Delta Street.

Branch 61 owns the building, constructed in 1922 for the Bank of Montreal and later a BC Government Liquor Store.

A few weeks prior to the 1972 recognition ceremony, the branch held an open house to show the public newly completed renovations to the building’s interior.

One of many honours the branch received over the years, the branch was the recognition for its generosity and ongoing community support with Deltaassist’s Outstanding Community Partner Award.