Several employees of major grocery and drugstore chains operating in Metro Vancouver have recently tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Workers at stores in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, and Delta are among the many new test-positive cases reported by the parent companies of stores like Safeway and Shoppers Drug Mart.
Sobeys Inc., parent company of Safeway and Thrifty Foods, has added the following employee coronavirus cases to its listings for British Columbia:
- Safeway: 2101 Lahb Ave, Vancouver. Employee last worked Feb. 2, 2021.
- Safeway: 1780 East Broadway, Vancouver. Employee last worked Feb. 7, 2021.
- Thrifty Foods: 1207 – 56th Street, Delta (Tsawwassen). Employee last worked Feb. 3, 2021.
- Safeway: 4440 Hastings Street, Burnaby. Employee last worked Feb. 6, 2021.
Loblaw Companies Ltd, the parent company of Shoppers Drug Mart, provided updates to its COVID-19 employee case listings on Feb. 9, indicating a case at the following store location in Metro Vancouver:
- Shoppers Drug Mart, 12830 96th Ave, Unit 6, Surrey. Team Member last worked Feb. 7.
Previously, on Feb. 7, Loblaw indicated two team members of its Real Canadian Superstore at 8195 - 120th Street in Delta had tested positive for the virus. The last day each of the infected team members worked was on January 26 and January 27.
Additionally, on Feb. 6, two cases of COVID-19 were reported concerning workers at Burnaby’s biggest mall, Metropolis at Metrotown.
The latest cases involve two workers at the Real Canadian Superstore. The last shift for both workers was on Jan. 31. This Superstore has had multiple cases involving staff in the past few months.
With a file from Chris Campbell/Burnaby NOW