A truck staging facility opened in Delta late last week with room for up to 140 trucks, including early arrivals to the Deltaport container terminal.
The facility will help address long-standing road safety concerns when port-destined container trucks lined the Roberts Bank causeway.
The new staging facility is located on provincial land at the intersection of Highway 17, Highway 17A and Deltaport Way. It includes:
- A secure vehicle access control system gate requiring a valid port pass;
- A commercial vehicle safety and enforcement area for truck safety inspections;
- A new highway exit ramp to facilitate access from Highway 17;
- An additional road exit to allow traffic access onto Deltaport Way; and
- 24-hour remote surveillance courtesy of the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.
Trucks making their way to Deltaport previously had to queue on the causeway when arriving early for reservations or when there is a closure at the terminal.
“This new facility will enhance safety and traffic flow, and also provide a separate area for commercial vehicle safety and enforcement to perform inspections.” said Peter Xotta, vice president of planning and operations at the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority. ”We were pleased to collaborate with the City of Delta and our partners at Transport Canada and the B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to complete this important project, particularly during these unusual times.”