Yes, they feed on us while they sleep (like vampires), they cause itchy, red bumps and they are really hard to get rid of! Here are a few weird and wacky but true facts!
1)They lay a lot of eggs, a single female bed bug can lay 500 eggs in her lifetime! But here is the strange part, they stab each other during intercourse called traumatic insemination.
2) Bed bugs can live anywhere like homes, apartments, hospitals, college dorm rooms, office buildings, schools, buses, trains, movie theaters, retail stores and just about anywhere that humans are.
3) They suck your blood without you knowing, bed bugs are able to cut through our skin using a sharp organ known as the proboscis, while injecting anesthetic.
4) Bed bugs have a predictable feeding pattern, in clusters or in a row on exposed skin on the chest, arms or legs.
5) They can live for several months without a blood meal and can survive temperatures of nearly freezing to 50 celsius .
6) Bed bugs are smart and elusive hiding in mattress crevices, box springs, baseboards, behind electrical switch plates, in picture frames, and even behind wallpaper.
Go Green Pest Control owner Randy Bilesky is a long-time South Delta resident. Trained and certified, Bilesky has first-hand knowledge of the pest problems that local homeowners and business owners encounter.