Tossing and turning, snoring, and waking up in a fog may mean more than just a bad night’s sleep. This is especially true if it is a regular occurrence.
In some cases, sleep apnea is to blame. There are different types of this sleep disorder, but Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is the most common one. This breathing disorder is caused by a partial or complete blockage of the back of the throat, ultimately causing patients to stop breathing repeatedly while they sleep. Although there are different types of sleep apnea, with varying symptoms, the common thread is that it causes your heart to work harder than it should to circulate blood and oxygen throughout the body.
If left untreated, OSA can cause serious and even life-threatening conditions.
CanSleep Services is a medical consulting company with locations scattered throughout the Lower Mainland. With highly trained Registered Respiratory Therapists and Registered Nurses, CanSleep can help those who have troubles sleeping at night. Using both holistic and medical treatments, CanSleep Services can remedy OSA, as well as other sleep-related issues.
Marina Abramskey, a Training Development Manager at CanSleep Services, warns that certain health issues can arise when sleep apnea goes untreated:
· High blood pressure: blood vessels can constrict because of low oxygen levels.
· Heart disease: the heart works harder to deliver oxygen to other organs, and as a result, different arrhythmias can develop.
· Strokes: due to high blood pressure.
· Motor vehicle accidents: people with untreated sleep apnea are more likely to fall asleep at the wheel due to fatigue.
· Type II diabetes: as a result of low oxygen levels, the body is unable to regulate sugar levels.
· Weight gain: this is the most commonly known side effect of untreated OSA, as the body releases certain hormones when it is under stress.