Skip to content

Delta throwback: The very first class

The school, which closed in 1938, was located where the Ladner Community Centre is now located
This photo of the first class of King George V High School ran in the late 1960s pages of the Optimist. At the time, a committee was organizing a reunion.

Let’s take a look at the very first class of Ladner’s first high school, King George V.

This photo from 1912 shows front row: Katherine Reagh, Edna Bown, Nellie Frew, May Martin, Alice Leary and Myrtle Hutcherson.

Back row: Mr. McLeod, Ralph McDiarmid, Mike Rogers, Roy Anderson, Fred Cederberg and Arthur Swenson.

Delta Secondary school had its genesis in the King George V High School, which opened with two rooms, located where the Ladner Community Centre now stands.

Two more rooms were added in 1916. That first Delta high school closed in 1938 when its students moved to nearby Delta Central School, which later became Delta Secondary.

Delta Central was built in 1926 as an elementary school. The school was enlarged and updated for senior students while a new elementary school was built on the same property. A gym was also built, separating the two schools.

In 1952, the elementary become Delta Jr. Secondary, while the Central School building (B block) became known as Delta Sr. Secondary.

For years, the junior and senior high schools had students come from not only Ladner, but also Tsawwassen and North Delta.

In the 1970s, the Ladner high schools, which had gone through a number of additions and alterations over the years, were amalgamated into one school, Delta Secondary.