Let’s head back to the early 1920’s to see a lineup of motorists waiting to catch the ferry out of Ladner.
The cars seen here are waiting at what was later known as Massey's Wharf and the ferry travelled to Woodwards Landing on the Richmond side.
It was taken at the corner of Elliott and Delta streets and the old Community Hall can be seen in the background.
The Ladner ferry service began 1913 and continued until the new Deas Island Tunnel (now known as the
George Massey Tunnel) opened in 1959.
Originally running from Ladner to Steveston, the ferry service was the result of community petitions and negotiations with the provincial government.