A building in a prominent location in Ladner Village is to get renewed with its original look being restored.
An application has been submitted to the City of Delta to demolish the existing single-storey portion of the commercial building at 5097 47A Ave., located at the corner of 47A Avenue and Elliot Street, and retain and renovate the two-storey portion of the structure.
The two-storey building will have the same look as the original butcher shop at the site.
Bob Stokes and his brother-in-law George W. Dowding operated the original Delta Meat Market from the late 1890s to 1902.
It became the Stokes and Cullis Meat Market facing Westham Street (now called 48th Avenue) after George Dowding left Ladner and Franklin Cullis bought into the business.
Stokes and Cullis also operated a feed lot and a slaughter house to supply meat for the shop.
The building would have various tenants including Ken Tancock's Delta Meat Market from 1946 to 1972.