Let’s head back to July 28, 1963, when a new Roman Catholic church opened at the Tsawwassen Indian Reserve, now called the Tsawwassen First Nation.
The Church of the Holy Ghost was dedicated that Sunday by Coadjutor Archbishop Martin Johnson in a special morning service.
Serving what was called the Tsawwassen Indian Band, the new church took the place of an old church. The old church had stood near the new ferry causeway, a roadway constructed by the province that resulted in the demolition of the First Nation’s longhouse.
The original church of the Holy Ghost was built in 1904.